Archived site – Last updated in May 2017

External restoration starts at the Chief Mechanical Engineers Office

3 November 2016

Work on the exterior of the Chief Mechanical Engineer’s Office continues as the balcony, balcony roof and iron latticework are removed in segments for restoration.

After careful consideration a timber has been selected for part of the restoration works that is both sensitive to the heritage and will prolong the life of the building. Australian Blue Gum hardwood has been salvaged from a hotel in Taree, a workers club near Hexham and the old Hornsby Hospital and will be used to restore the balcony of the Chief Mechanical Engineer's Office.

Some of the tools and techniques used by Eveleigh Railyard carpenters in 1887 will be used by the team and much of the salvaged timber will be chiselled by hand. Selected iron supports and lattice work from the balcony will be taken to a working foundry for reconditioning.

The heritage listed building, located at 505 Wilson Street, North Eveleigh, has been unused for 10 years. The restoration is part of our program’s commitment to strengthening arts, heritage and culture in the Central to Eveleigh Program area. The next use of the building will be decided after further assessments, community engagement, and studies.

Back to news